At a company that’s been around since 1932, sometimes we like to reminisce about “the good ‘ol days”. We keep a few reminders around of when the company was in its youth, and we decided it would be fun to share some of that history with you.
People collect all kinds of things: stamps, coins, artwork, etc. But doesn’t it seem more fitting for us to collect something like, oh say, chemicals? Sure, it might seem like an odd thing to save old chemicals, but it’s interesting to recall former chemical companies and see how much labeling regulations have changed over the years.
We have a small collection set aside and a little history on each of them. Enjoy our Chemical Museum!
Methyl Green from The Coleman & Bell Company (C & B) in Norwood, Ohio. C & B was formerly known as National Stain & Reagent Co. The Coleman & Bell Company was incorporated August 6, 1921. A.B. Coleman was the President and W.H. Bell was the Secretary & Treasurer. Eventually, it became Matheson, Coleman & Bell Company.
Brilliant Yellow from Matheson, Coleman & Bell (MC/B). Division of Matheson Co. Norwood (Cincinnati) , OH; East Rutherford, NJ. Distributed by Laboratory Services: 4024 Rosslyn Dr, Cincinnati, OH. Matheson Gas Products is still in business today.
Chloramine-T from Matheson, Coleman & Bell (MC/B). Additional locations include Los Angeles, CA and Baton Rouge, LA.
Methyl Green from Kodak (Eastman Kodak Co.) in Rochester, NY. In 1946, Kodak created their first color film that photographers could process themselves using newly marketed chemical kits. In 1953, Kodak formed a new subsidiary, Eastman Chemical Products, Inc. In the 90’s, Fisher Scientific acquired Eastman Kodak Company’s organic-chemicals business.
Meta Cresol Purple from John & Johnson. That’s it. There is literally nothing else on the label.
Brilliant Yellow from Hartman-Leddon Co. (HARLECO) in Philadelphia, PA. Harleco is now owned by Merck.
Dextrose from Mallinckrodt Chemical Works (St. Louis, New York, and Montreal). G. Mallinckrodt and Company began in 1867 in St. Louis. They were incorporated in Missouri as Mallinckrodt Chemical Works in 1882. Today, they are known as Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals.
3’,3”-Dichlorophenol Sulfonephth from Pfaltz & Bauer, Inc. Pfaltz & Bauer was founded in 1900 and was reborn in 1996 under new, aggressive ownership. Our bottle is dated 7/9/93.
Acid Blue from Sigma Chemical Company in St. Louis, MO. Sigma Chemical Company was founded in 1935 with the production and distribution of a single proprietary chemical: Adenosin triphosphate (ATP). Sigma primarily serviced biochemists.
Carmine from Aldrich Chemical Company, Inc in Milwaukee, WI. Aldrich Chemical Company was founded in 1951 with the production and distribution of a single proprietary chemical: 1-methyl-3-nitro-1-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG). Aldrich primarily served organic chemists. Aldrich Chemical Company merged with Sigma International, Ltd in 1975 forming Sigma-Aldrich Corporation.
Eriochrome Black T from Fisher Scientific Chemical Manufacturing Division in Fair Lawn, NJ. Fisher Scientific was founded in 1902, originally called the “Scientific Materials Co”. In 1955, Fisher established a chemical manufacturing facility in Fair Lawn, NJ. In the 90’s, Fisher acquired Eastman Kodak Company’s organic-chemicals business.
This Johnson Methyl Red tin has been around for a long time. It was purchased by the company’s original owner, John Tucker, and we have not one, but two tins! Johnsons of Hendon was a chemical company in London, England.